Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Revelation Is Living, Breathing, Growing

I'm an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I'm not in the least bit disgruntled, disenchanted, or disengaged from the church. I believe very strongly in the doctrines of my religion. But I believe it's okay, and even healthy, to question things when they appear to possibly be incorrect or outdated.


I believe revelation happens line upon line, precept on precept, here a little, there a little. I don't believe it always comes perfectly clear the first time. It's a process. I believe revelation, like knowledge, discovery, growth, can expand. We can look at all the events that have happened, read all that's been said, add our thoughts to those existing, listen to God's voice, and receive new and beautiful ideas that are relevant to our times. That's all I'm doing here. It seems to me as though we're experiencing something of a spiritual revival. Even within our own religion. New thoughts and ideas are being expressed. I take my cue from the First Presidency and Twelve Apostles of my faith. At times, they think in ways and express ideas that are revolutionary. They're expansive. They're beautiful. Joseph Smith, whether you believe in him as a prophet or not, was one of the greatest thinkers of all time. Certainly one of the most daring theologians in history. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, though it can be very conservative when necessary, is an evolving, growing, thought-provoking religion. We believe in living prophets. What would be the purpose of living prophets if we didn't believe there was more revelation to come? We're the most dynamic and evolutionary religion on earth, as far as I know.

I'm not claiming to be receiving revelation concerning our religion in any way. That's not my place. I merely have ideas I'd like to put down in one place so I can think about them. This is as much a thought journal as anything. If people find this blog and want to be involved in the conversation, I welcome it. I think we all benefit when we have open, civil discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment